Sunday, August 14, 2005

Who is a Christian?

Have you ever stopped to think whether or not a particular person is a Christian? Have you ever said to yourself, "No, that person couldn't be a Christian" because of the way that someone is dressed or the way they act?

A person's actions do not convey whether or not they are saved by grace. They do, however, convey one's current relationship with Christ and those very actions can weigh heavily on another non-believer. For instance, if I talked with you very seriously about the grace of God and what it means to have the joy of Christ, but later you see me how partying and drinking, what does that say to you about my witness?

We should never judge another person no matter if we know they are a Christian or not. I am sure at one time or another, we have all been guilty of this. I know that I am and I would be committing a sin here and now if I said otherwise.

Considering this, it was with great excitement tonight when I came across a link under the Technorati tag of Jesus entitled "salty dogma". This blog entry refers to a piece that Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church in Los Angeles, sent to the staff of his church. This piece of an excerpt from an interview that someone had with Bono, the lead singer for the rock band U2.

Update: I came across another blog entry regarding the same interview. I have linked to it below as well.


read "salty dog" | read "Judging Bono"

tags: ,

1 comment:

Barbara said...

The Word says:
Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Matthew Henry on that particular scripture says:

#15-20 Nothing so much prevents men from entering the strait gate, and becoming true
followers of Christ, as the carnal, soothing, flattering doctrines of those who oppose the truth.
They may be known by the drift and effects of their doctrines. Some part of their temper and
conduct is contrary to the mind of Christ. Those opinions come not from God that lead to sin.

We either live for God, or we live for satan. "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh." Matthew 12:34