Sunday, September 04, 2005

Digital Rebel (300D)

My father just picked up a steal on a Canon Digital Rebel. This is the original (300D), not the XT (350D) model. I got to play around with it today a little when he dropped by to try out my 75-300 mm lens on it. One thing that I noticed real quickly is that the 300D is a lot bigger and a little heavier than my Canon EOS Rebel G (film camera).

Unfortunately, my father is going to have to send the camera off, because we finally figured out why someone took it back to the location where he got it. It will not fire a shot when the lens is set in AF (auto-focus) mode. According to posts that I have found on a few forums, the original Digital Rebel had an issue with the secondary auto-focus pin breaking after a few months of use. One person’s description of the problem was exactly what we were seeing here. :(

Nonetheless, it does take some pretty nice pictures in manual mode. I believe he is probably going to keep it and use it in manual mode for the next few weeks until my nephews high school football season is over and then send it off to be repaired under warranty.

This pretty much seals my desire on the Digital Rebel, but I will be getting the 8 megapixel XT model, though. :)


tags: , , ,

No comments: